Ok guys I got a few replies to my recent Instagram story about how gross beets are (ya I’m calling you out) LOL… So I JUST HAD TO do a post on the amazing qualities of these superfoods.
First lets talks Nutrients:
1. Beets contain a bit of almost all the vitamins and minerals that you need. Drop the Flinstone vitamins and grab some beets. The high content of iron in beets regenerates and reactivates the red blood cells and supplies fresh oxygen to the body. The copper content in beets help make the iron more available to the body. A great blood builder.
2. Can Improve Athletic Performance. Beets are high in Nitrates. Nitrates effect physical performance by improving the efficiency of mitochondria, which are responsible for producing energy in your cells
3. Help Keep Blood Pressure in Check. Dietary nitrates are converted into nitric oxide, a molecule that dilates blood vessels, causing blood pressure to drop
4. Fight Inflammation and improve gut health. Beets contain pigments called betalains, which may possess a number of anti-inflammatory properties
5. Improve Brain Health. Nitrates in beet promote the dilation of blood vessels and thus increase blood flow to the brain. Beets have been shown to particularly improve blood flow to the frontal lobe of the brain, an area associated with higher-level thinking, such as decision making and working memory.
How are beets used in Chinese Medicine:
1. Strengthens the heart.
2. Calms the mind and spirit.
3. Improves circulation of the blood. Nourishes the blood.
4. Benefits the liver.
5. Moistens the intestines. Promotes Bowel Movement. Relieves Constipation due to Large Intestine dryness.
6. Promotes menstruation.
Alright so you refuse to eat them because of their taste, so how can you get them in your diet.
There are so many ways! Juice them with apples to make them sweeter. There are dehydrated beet powders that can be added to smoothies. Roast them and drizzle with honey or balsamic vinegar. I don’t care how you get them in, just get them in!
Ok did I change your mind?